If you like podcasts, and you’re writing on Medium, your workflow just got a whole lot easier.
Until now, writing about podcasts was a royal pain, because there was no standard way to link to a show. Some writers link off to a bunch of disparate show websites, while others use app links that only work for a fraction of listeners. The upshot?
- The writing process sucks, because it takes you ages to track down all the links and embed them in the right spots.
- And the reading process sucks, too — because you can’t actually listen to the shows under discussion. To sample a show, you have to click through link after link, often resulting in a dead end or a lost trail.
Now there’s a better way. It looks like this:
Stop Googling and start embedding — using RadioPublic’s free universal podcast embed player.
- Stop wasting time hunting around for show links.
- Keep people on your article longer.
- Embed once: as new podcast episodes are published, the player updates automatically with the most recent episode.
- And let your readers quickly and easily listen, sample, or follow the shows you’re writing about.
RadioPublic’s embed player is optimized for mobile, where most people prefer to listen to podcasts (though it also works beautifully on desktops). And when your readers are done listening, they’ll get a prompt to subscribe to the show. Here’s a full list of the features our embed player provides.
And the best part? It works seamlessly within Medium. RadioPublic is now a supported Embedly provider, making it easy to embed podcasts into your Medium post.
Here, give it a try.
- Find a show you like at search.radiopublic.com.
In a hurry? Try one of these shows:
- Copy the link.
- Paste it onto a new line in your Medium story.
- Press Enter.
Voilà! Your readers can now listen to the show while they’re reading what you have to say about it.
Psst: If you have any trouble finding a show in our search directory, get in touch.
How about a pretty video showing those four simple steps?
Want to embed a specific episode?
It’s just as simple to embed a single episode of a show. Once you find the show you want to embed (let’s say it’s WNYC’s Note to Self), just click on the episode you want and grab the URL — perhaps this one, featuring the guy who designed Facebook’s ad-tracking system). Then paste it into your story, and boom:
Care to see some examples?
Check out the Dine on Design podcast playlist from uxdesign.cc, or this Women’s History Month playlist from PRX: you can listen to every podcast they recommend, and if you like it, click right through to the show screen on RadioPublic. No complicated link trails, account creation, or dead ends. (Did we mention that Android users hit a complete dead end when they follow an iTunes link? No biggie — as long as you‘re OK with ignoring 1.5 billion people.)
Simpler, faster, and a better experience for your readers
If reader engagement matters to you, stop linking off to other websites and start embedding podcasts right in your articles. You’ll help convert readers to listeners; you’ll keep people on your stories longer; and you’ll save yourself a whole lot of hassle.
Want to share your love for this awesome tool?
One way you can help us spread the word is by upvoting us on ProductHunt. Thanks!