RadioPublic, the listening platform led by former PRX CEO Jake Shapiro, is generally eager to play around with the possibilities of how things are and could be, and the startup’s latest experiment is no different. Last week, RadioPublic launched an equity crowdfunding campaign that lets everyday users and audiences invest small amounts — from $50 to a maximum of about $100,000 — into the venture. As of Monday morning, the company had raised almost $60,000 from 53 backers, well over its $25,000 minimum goal. The campaign is managed over a new investment platform called Republic.
02.28.2018 RadioPublic is Helping Podcast Fans Discover New and Exciting Content (Cheddar TV)
Traditional radio is declining, while consumers can’t get enough of podcasts. According to some reports, about 67 million Americans listen to podcasts each month. RadioPublic is a space where podcast fans can discover and curate their favorite podcasts.
Jake Shapiro is the CEO and Co-founder of RadioPublic. He joins Cheddar to explain how their start-up is grabbing a portion of the podcast market.
02.26.2018 Bose Ventures is the latest investor in RadioPublic (Rain News)
RadioPublic has been making strides to ensure more podcasters are paid for their work, but the company has also found a new funding source of its own. Bose Corporation’s strategic investment group, Bose Ventures, has joined as a RadioPublic investor.
“As podcasting continues to expand as go-to entertainment for millions of people, we’ve been impressed by RadioPublic’s efforts to lead and drive this ecosystem,” said Steve Romine, managing director of Bose Ventures. “Bose sees opportunities to provide great user experiences for podcast consumers, and we look forward to helping RadioPublic on this journey.”
02.06.2018 RadioPublic has a big plan to help small podcasters make money (Fast Company)
We learned recently that podcast advertising is as lucrative as creators and advertisers alike had hoped. That’s great news for the industry — but many, many podcasts are niche, under-the-radar passion projects that don’t have the benefit of lucrative ad dollars from the likes of Squarespace or MailChimp. RadioPublic, the for-profit spinoff of public radio marketplace PRX, knows smaller podcasters are likely to be shut out as the industry grows, which is why its new Paid Listens program will guarantee payments to podcasters on RadioPublic, regardless of their audience size.
01.22.2018 RadioPublic updates web player for a more flexible experience (Rain News)
Jake Shapiro, head of RadioPublic, the Boston-based podcast creation and distribution company, posted a note indicating that some upgrades have been introduced to the RadioPublic web player at play.radiopublic.com.
The main improvement to the user experience is a pop-down player that stays tucked in the corner of your browser tab while you move around the site. this enables listening and searching/discovery at the same time.
11.29.2017 NPR Affiliate WGBH Invests in Podcast App Maker RadioPublic (AmericanInno)
RadioPublic, a Boston-based startup founded by public radio veterans, announced on Wednesday that it raised a new $1.2 million seed round with WGBH as the lead investor. Other new investors include former Groupon CEO and founder Andrew Mason and local investment firm Companyon Capital. The startup’s original group of investors — which includes The New York Times, American Public Media and Slate.com publisher Graham Holdings — also participated in the funding round.
11.29.2017 WGBH invests in RadioPublic (Current)
RadioPublic is also exploring collaboration with WGBH’s Contributor Development Partnership, described by Shapiro as “a national data reference file of 20 million public media contributors and a suite of fundraising services that WGBH manages on behalf of more than 200 public TV and radio stations across the country.”
11.18.2017 “Holding onto Public Radio Ideals, as Podcasting Booms” (New Yorker)
In a hangarlike brewery space tricked out like a disco, at an event thrown by RadioPublic, which shone its logo on one wall, Rameswaram spun records and danced to them — Missy Elliott, Beyoncé, Outkast — along with everybody else. It was an ecstatic, sweaty scene, and its joy seemed to reflect the state of the industry.
11.10.2017: The Travel Podcast Comes Into Its Own (The New York Times)
“People like finding things,” said Dave McCaslin, the executive vice president of H.H.M., which owns the Freepoint and worked on its podcast portfolio available on RadioPublic, a mobile app for podcasts. It also includes a fitness channel with an episode on the Boston Marathon and a bedtime channel featuring relaxing jazz music and a discussion of how dreams work. In the Memory Palace commission, “We wanted something hyper local that people can’t really get anywhere. The ideal is to experience something that isn’t canned.”
Connecting Guests to the City with Curated Podcasts
American Airlines Magazine profiles the RadioPublic/PRX collaboration with FreePoint Hotel.
8 Boston Consumer Tech Startups to Watch
…We looked at eight promising consumer tech startups in Greater Boston that have already started to make a name for themselves…
Better Blogging Through Podcasts: Announcing RadioPublic Embeds
Thanks to a new partnership with RadioPublic, you can choose from a quarter of a million podcasts to embed into your posts and pages on WordPress.com and Jetpack-powered websites. Whether you produce a podcast yourself, write about them, or just like to listen, you can share podcasts with your visitors, no matter where the podcasts are hosted.
RadioPublic looks to build a better podcast
RadioPublic, a year-old company headquartered at Harvard’s Launch Lab startup office, is trying to build a better podcast app, one that will remove nagging roadblocks for podcast creators and listeners alike.
Boston Globe 2017 Game Changers http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2017/05/09/radiopublic-looks-build-better-podcast/BEt5gSQvwHnnu74vpMQErO/story.html
How These Public Radio Vets Plan to Elevate the Podcast
RadioPublic joins world of apps aiming to make podcasts navigable
RadioPublic Adds Podcast Playlists Feature
Podcast app RADIOPUBLIC has added a new feature, Podcast Playlists, aimed at helping users discover podcasts they might not otherwise have found. Playlists will be created by individual curators and organizations and will also be available by topics or activities.
BostInno 10 of the Hottest Boston Startups from 2016: http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2016/12/21/new-startups-boston-tech-companies-launched-in-2016/
RadioPublic is Boston startup spun out of PRX, the Cambridge-based public radio distributor of “This American Life,” that aims to make the act of discovering and listening to podcasts better with its new app.
- FastCompany: https://www.fastcompany.com/3065951/innovation-agents/finding-podcasts-may-get-easier-with-this-public-radio-vets-new-app
RadioPublic is the latest attempt to take a crack at this discovery problem. The app, launched by a public benefit corporation started by PRX cofounder Jake Shapiro in May, aims to smooth out some of the friction in finding new episodes to stream.
- NiemanLab: http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/11/with-its-new-app-radiopublic-wants-to-tackle-podcastings-lingering-challenges/
Next on the roadmap are challenges around increasing listener engagement with the shows they listen to, and then improving ways for show creators to make money from both eager fans and advertisers
The app can connect users to a “Podcast Librarian,” an actual person who can recommend podcasts. It also offers curated episode playlists by topic, artist, publisher, network and other categories.
- Radio Magazine: https://www.radiomagonline.com/trends/radiopublic-podcast-app-is-rethinking-radio-in-the-mobile-world
Podcast startup RadioPublic has launched its eponymous iOS and Android apps, about six months after the public benefit corporation was created. Headed by CEO Jake Shapiro, the co-founder and former CEO of public radio distributor PRX, the organization’s leadership has a history of audio-centric, mobile-focused innovation (think Pubcatcher and the Public Radio Player app).
About our formation
- Poynter http://www.poynter.org/2016/prx-launches-radiopublic-a-company-that-aims-to-redefine-audio-with-a-new-app/412684/
- BostInno http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2016/05/19/radiopublic-prx-podcast-tech-platform-startup/
- Current http://current.org/2016/05/prx-announces-spinoff-company-for-new-mobile-listening-platform/
- FastCompany http://www.fastcompany.com/3060057/how-these-podcasting-pioneers-plan-to-reinvent-radio
- PRX Blog https://blog.prx.org/2016/05/announcing-radiopublic/
- TechCrunch http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/19/prx-spins-out-radiopublic/
- Podcast Hot Dog http://podcasthotdog.com/2016/05/19/prx-podcast-tech-startup-radiopublic.html
- Nieman http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/05/public-radio-exchange-is-creating-a-new-company-in-radiopublic/
- The Wrap http://www.thewrap.com/sorry-public-radio-this-american-life-owner-starts-for-profit-radiopublic/
- Engadget http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/19/radiopublic-aims-to-capture-the-serial-podcast-crowd/
- Startup World http://www.starterincubator.com/venture-capital/startups/public-radio-marketplace-prx-spins-out-a-new-mobile-app-company-radiopublic/
- Fortune http://fortune.com/2016/05/19/prx-radiopublic/
- Boston Globe https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/05/19/prx-launches-new-mobile-listening-company-radiopublic/JIR9t9WPHsPL6zF2YBYmYM/story.html
- Boston Herald http://www.bostonherald.com/business/technology/2016/05/boston_co_turning_up_podcasting
- Vanity Fair http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/05/egypt-air-crash-media-coverage
- Radio Ink http://radioink.com/2016/05/19/prx-wants-redefine-radio/
- RouteNote http://routenote.com/blog/prx-bring-radio-together-with-new-app-company-radiopublic/
- Current http://current.org/2016/09/outlook-for-podcasting-includes-growing-profits-better-user-experience/